Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Squash Fritters With Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce

My husband and I decided we would try our hand at a garden this summer.  Little did we know our squash would produce in such an abundance I found myself looking for different ways to cook it when I came across this recipe and decided to give it a try.  It turned out to be delicious!  A recipe I will definitely make again next year!



You will need:
1) 2 cups of finely chopped yellow squash (or zucchini)
2) 1 egg
3) 1 Tbsp of salt
4) 1 Tbsp of pepper
5) 3/4 cup of All purpose flour

Optional "Add-Ins"- you can add them all or only one, which ever you prefer:
1) 1 cup of finely chopped onions
2) 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
3) 1/4 cup of bacon bits



The picture above is the yellow squash I used from our garden.  You can also use the zucchini squash if that's what you prefer.







I used a hand held grater and grated my yellow squash.


In a large bowl, combine squash, egg, salt, pepper and which ever "add-in" you prefer.  Once this is mixed together mix in your flour and stir well.  In a skillet, over medium-high heat, heat 1/2 inch of oil. (Tip: do NOT use high heat since these fritters can burn relatively quickly).  Allow enough time for the oil to heat.  You can test it if you want by dropping a really tiny piece of the dough mixture into the oil. If it sizzles and begins to fry your grease is ready... if it does not, give it a few more minutes to heat up.



Using a table spoon (or slightly bigger if you prefer) drop the batter into the oil.  Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until it is golden brown.








Drain on paper towels and serve with honey mustard dipping sauce.  Or, if you prefer ranch use that instead.  In the future, I definitely plan to use a melted cheese dip as a dipping sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment