Saturday, August 31, 2013

A Cute lil' Fall Flower Vase

Fall is almost here and I find myself looking for easy and inexpensive ways to add a splash of Autumn color wherever I can.  This is how I settled on my fall flower vase craft.




I started with the supplies:
A candle holder from the Dollar Tree
Fall Ribbon
Adhesive - Be sure you choose one that dries clear!!
And finally, a salsa jar.  (I'm notorious for holding on to things that I might could upgrade into something decorative or usable).




1) Start by cleaning your jar and removing the label.  You can soak the jar in warm soapy water or use an oil of some type to remove most of the label.  I actually used some pledge orange oil (after soaking the jar).  This worked really well.  However, since I knew I would be wrapping the jar in ribbon I wasn't too concerned with getting it "perfectly clean."



2) Once the jar is dry measure the amount of ribbon you will need to wrap around the jar.  Cut to your desired length and on the backside of the ribbon and down the very middle, squeeze a line of adhesive from end to end then wrap the ribbon around your jar.


3) The next step is to glue the decorative jar to the candle holder.  All you have to do is line the rim of the candle holder with your adhesive and secure the jar by pressing it firmly down into the adhesive.




In the picture above you can see the adhesive has not yet dried and it leaves a "white ring" that's visible through the ribbon.  This is OK!  You will think your project is ruined but as long as the adhesive dries clear it will be fine.



Once it dries your done!  I did almost turn this into a candle holder but decided to use some left over Autumn decorations and turn into a vase instead.  But I think a pumpkin scented candle or maybe a cranberry candle for a splash of color would be nice too!

No comments:

Post a Comment