Tuesday, October 16, 2012

My Deco Mesh Wreath


I have seen over a dozen tutorials on how to make your own deco-mesh wreath. I think they are gorgeous and so sturdy they fare really well in the outdoors. So, I set about trying to make my own deco-mesh wreath. Because I'm an Alabama graduate red & white seemed the obvious choice for my colors! But, I also settled on red and white because I intend to double its use by leaving it out for Christmas as well.




I started with a regular wire wreath base and some deco-mesh that fit my color scheme.



Because I purchased the wider roll of deco-mesh I decided to cut it down the middle (you do not have to cut the rolls down the middle if you don't want to.... in fact, if you prefer a fuller looking wreath you may be better satisfied by NOT cutting it down the middle).  The wider rolls were a MUCH better value at Hobby Lobby (where I purchased everything) and by cutting the roll down the center I now have enough to do ANOTHER wreath.



I started by pinching the ends of the deco-mesh together and using zip ties, I tied them down to the wire wreath frame.  You will need to "bunch" the mesh or "gather" it between each of the zip ties.  You can make as big or small of a "bunch" as you would like.  I tend to like a wider, fuller looking wreaths so I chose to bunch about "8 rows" of the mesh at a time.  Because my mesh was striped I was able to count the "rows" to have an even amount of length between each zip tie.  I have since learned that is the important thing.... you really need the SAME amount of lengh between EVERY tie
that you make!  You don't HAVE to use zip ties... you can use floral wire, bread ties... or any other item that could serve as a tie.... but... FOLLOW THE SAME RULE and space each "tie" the SAME LENGTH apart!  Notice my attempt in the pictures to space the ties apart as evenly as possible!



 At this point I have half way finished my wreath.




I am now through with the first "layer" of my wreath.  Because I tend to prefer thick, "full" looking wreaths I decided to add an additional layer of deco-mesh.  I could have spaced the first layer CLOSER TOGETHER to get a "full look" but I tend to enjoy alot of variety, shape and color to my wreaths.

I opted for an additional filler of red deco-mesh.  Notice this roll is much more narrow.  This is actually the perfect width (in my opinion) to prevent from having to cut the wider deco's in half.


I added my additional layer of red deco-mesh and some red and white poinsetta flowers I found in the Christmas section of the store.  Luckily the end of the flowers was wire so I was able to just wrap it around the wire wreath frame.


And this was the finished product!  You will want to "shape" or "mold" the mesh wire into place a little but I especially enjoyed this wreath project because it allows room for error and you don't have to be "just perfect."

3 comments:

  1. What’s the best way to cut the longer ones in half? I’m so nervous to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will fray a lot more if you cut the wider mesh. I almost always use 10” mesh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What tool did you use to cut the roll in half?

    ReplyDelete