Monday, October 29, 2012

My Soup Can "Tote"


I hate to do yet ANOTHER can craft but I use so many of them!  Not to mention they are durable, sturdy and cheap!  One of the things I look for with my crafts is "upcycling," ... taking something made for one purpose and "upgrading" it to be used for another purpose.  Soup cans or just cans in general are perfect for crafting and thus "upcycling"! 
1) I've already paid for them, aka They're cheap


2) The possibilities are endless!

3) If you happen to mess one up it's no big deal!!



I started with my cans and for the purposes of a "tote" I made sure all of my cans were the SAME SIZE.  I chose some fabric I had which complemented each other.  I suppose if I had wanted to make a "soup can tote" for one of the holidays I could have chosen fabric or colors consistent with the Holiday but I was looking for something to use year round.

I then used Mod-Podge... you can make your own with 1/2 glue 1/2 water.  I cut my fabric to the width and length I needed for my cans allowing for about 1/2 inch overlap (because the fabric will shrink slightly when you paste it on).
 I knew I wanted to add a handle to my tote because  wanted to use it for some of my craft storage.  I looked for a rope handle but in the end... I settled on using some 2-ply twine.  I braided a "handle" to the length I needed and presto!... A handle for my soup can tote.


I think it turned out pretty well.  You will have to use a hot glue gun to glue the cans together after they have been mod-podged/decorated to your liking.  After they have been "glued together" then you can work on the handle.  I think in some cases ribbon would be cute or maybe even some embellishment to the top of the cans.  At any rate... the possibilities are endless which I love about crafting with leftover cans!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment