Monday, October 15, 2012

Storage Containers

In my efforts to begin reorganizing I needed storage containers.  Because I wasn't willing to spend a fortune on storage just to organize my belonging it left me wondering the following:
1) What's affordable?
2) It needs to be easy... I have a toddler!
3) It needs to be cheap.. I DON'T feel like spending a fortune!
4) It needs to be dependable and reliable :-)

This line of thinking led me to the versatile, affordable but not so stylish cardboard box.  Cardboard boxes are everywhere!  Most of the items I purchase come in a box.... everything from diapers, wipes, cereals... you name it!

I've seen a dozen tutorials on how to decopauge a box to upcycle it as a storage container.  I've done this numerous times however, I just wasn't in the mood to get out my brush, the glue, fabric, etc... and start the decopauge process.  That's when I came across some self-adhesive prints in the store.  I found them in the school supply section because they were originally designed to be a "locker sticker" for students returning to school.  Because they were on clearance I loaded up and thought "eventually I'll find a use for these"... and boy did I ever find a use!!




I started with an empty box of baby wipes because it seemed really sturdy and re-usable.  I took the self-adhesive sticker and cut in order to match the length and height of the box.  I allowed for about one inch extra on both length and height in order to accomadate error and ensure the total coverage of the sides of the box.


I used duct tape to cover the bottom seam of the box and also to tape down the side handles for extra support.


The finished product was way more fashionable than a baby wipe box.  It was also more importantly, usable, affordable and way easier and less messier than decopauging!

No comments:

Post a Comment