Sunday, October 14, 2012

DIY Kids Activity Table

One of the things I've made it a point to do more of lately is crafting and organizing.  I wanted to focus on low cost crafts and organization tips to make life easier.  That's how I came up with the DIY Kids Activity Table.  My toddly loves to color and draw.  I was TIRED having to constantly pick up crayons, markers and other items that rolled off her coloring table.  That's when I decided to add a raised edge to the table and then take it another step further by making it more of an activity table.


This was a standard coffee table I found somewhere at a yard sale a while back.  It's obviously stained in some places but it's otherwise very sturdy.  Most importantly, it was LOW ENOUGH to accomadate my toddler.  She can sit in her chair to color, draw or play on the table or she can stand.  Since I was tired of crayons always rolling off, the first thing I wanted to do was add a raised edge with whatever I had on hand and didn't have to buy!




I had a hot glue gun, some rope, small books, puzzle pieces and other small toys to use for Hannah's table.  So... I started around the edges and hot glued the edges of the table to keep crayons and other rolling objects from rolling off the table.





In no time, everything was superglued down and there was a border to keep things from rolling off.  Hannah especially enjoyed the small books glued down.  Of course you could probably put almost anything on the table to make a more elaborate and intersting 'Activity Table' such as something that makes music, maybe some chalkboard paint or numerous other things.  But for now, this works fine for us.  I did leave room at the ends of the table to color, eat, etc.. without something being in the way.  Most of the items were glued near the center of the table.

Also, If you are like me and have a toddler to clean up after you will especially enjoy hot gluing all of those tiny puzzle and plastic pieces down to a permanent location to never have to pick up again!  Of course it's true they can't be played with the same way but your toddler will still get some use from the small objects but not at the expense of you having to pick it all up!

No comments:

Post a Comment