Friday, November 8, 2013

Deco-Mesh Wreath

Ahhh… more deco-mesh, It seems everyone these days is looking for a deco-mesh wreath or at least a tutorial on how to make one!  As I made this wreath I kept my blog in mind and decided to take plenty of pics so I could give a tutorial on how I made it!




I started with my basic supplies.  A wire wreath frame, some pipe cleaners and the red deco-mesh





Start by unrolling the deco-mesh.  The important thing to know here is that is that whatever LENGTH you unroll it to you will want to keep the SAME LENGTH from this point forward.





Here, I unrolled to the length I wanted and gathered the end of the deco-mesh.  Use a pipe cleaner (or floral wire)… or whatever you have, to secure the deco-mesh to the wire wreath frame.



I used the white pipe cleaners to secure the deco-mesh to the wreath frame so it would be easy to see how the process works for the purposes of this blog….. hopefully, it's helpful!


Unroll the same amount of deco-mesh as before.  Keep in mind… the more you unroll, the LARGER your "poof" will be… so, if you are looking for a smaller size wreath, start by unrolling a smaller length….

For this wreath, I opted for a "medium sized" wreath that would look "full."  You can tell from the picture to the left that the amount of deco-mesh I unrolled was practically the same as the length from the bottom of the wire frame to the top of the wire frame.

For this wreath, I used the wire wreath frame as a
"measurement guide" to measure a consistent length of deco-mesh for each "poof."



In this picture, I'm half-way finished!  You can see I'm tying the 'evenly measured' deco-mesh lengths onto the wreath frame in equal distances!

Because I prefer a "full" and "poofy" looking wreath, I am making the distance between each tied down piece of deco-mesh fairly close together.  



I am tying my deco-mesh down three times in between each section of the wire wreath frame.





And I'm using a pair of wire cutters to cut off the excess length of pipe cleaners! …. you do NOT have to do this… especially if you are using a pipe cleaner that matches the color of your wreath.  However, because I planned to blog about this wreath… I opted for these contrasting colors on purpose!!





View from the front!  I'm halfway through!!














I continued this technique all the way around the wire wreath frame.  Using wire cutters, I cut off all of the excess pipe cleaners… however, if you use a color that matches your wreath you don't even have to use a wire cutter to cut the ends of the pipe cleaners off.




A view from the front of the wreath… err.. ignore the junk in the background!






I added some white deco mesh to the center of the wreath using the same technique described above.  Also, you can see from the pic that its definitely NOT perfect!!











Once you have all the deco-mesh you want on your wreath frame….. decide on which embellishments you want to add.  Because I'm trying to make an Alabama "Roll Tide"/Christmas wreath I chose something that matched both…. and this is what I came up with…..




You can see from the picture to the left I added a hounds-tooth bow, along with some white poinsettia flowers along with one red flower that I positioned across the middle of the white deco-mesh.

Of course you could alternate colors and accessories to match whatever colors you are looking for in your wreath.




This is a picture from a distance…. you can see the white flowers, my houndstooth bow and the red flower across the center of the white deco-mesh.


This is a picture of the houndstooth bow up close…. I found some burlap ribbon with the houndstooth look and couldn't resist grabbing a few rolls!!

I used some hot-glue and a pipe cleaner to shape the bow and make it look like this in order to place it on the wreath.



This picture shows the white poinsettia flower up close so you can see what it looks like with the deco-mesh up close.


and here's the final picture from a distance!!  I think it turned out better than I expected!



It's a Merry Christmas "Roll Tide" wreath!!

















No comments:

Post a Comment