Monday, November 4, 2013

Cookie Sheet Serving Tray


On occasion I find myself in need of a serving tray.  Something that's durable and decorative.  This is when I settled on the idea of using a spare cookie sheet as a serving tray.







I started by painting the cookie sheet with white acrylic paint.  I applied two coats.  Once the paint was thoroughly dried I used a clear glaze (which comes in a spray paint can) and "glazed" the entire cookie sheet.

Glazing will help prevent the paint from scratching off and gives it a nice 'shine.'



Once everything had dried.... I rummaged through my scrapbook paper to find something that would work with a serving tray.... and I found a subtle print that worked well with a white background.

I cut the paper to the dimensions I preferred and then mod-podged to the cookie sheet.  Also, I ended up using one of those "mod-podge recipes" which worked pretty well for this craft.

I used half-glue and half-water but during the application I found myself using more glue.








If you notice your paper begin to show "ripples" like the ones in the picture to the left... take your fingers and smooth them out (uh, my nails don't usually look that bad!)...

Carefully smooth out all the ripples so you have a nice flat piece of paper on your cookie sheet.




Once the paper was thoroughly dried I opted for a piece of burlap which I hot glued onto the cookie shirt first and then mod-podged over to prevent the burlap from 'shedding' since I plan to use it as a serving tray.

Again, I just used burlap because it's what I had.  Although I think next time I'll rummage through my ribbons and see what I manage to find.

Note:  I have found it is very difficult to mod-podge wire rimmed ribbons.... the wire portion of the ribbon just isn't easy to mod-podge so if you opt for a ribbon you might want to make sure it isn't wire rimmed or if it is, maybe consider using hot glue.




And now it's ready to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment