Sunday, September 1, 2013

Veggie Bowl with A Twist!

I've always been a huge fan of "up cycling" and when the opportunity arises I give it a shot every chance I get.  My latest adventure was to create a container I could use in the kitchen to hold some fresh produce but added more style and more color than a regular vegetable holder/bowl.  So, ... I settled in to make my own container!



1) I started with a clean and dry container.  In this case it was a plastic Cascade Container.  I didn't even bother to remove the labels since I knew I would be covering over them.




2) I selected the fabric I wanted to cover it with and then some accents such as ribbon and a flower.  Since it is so close to fall I opted for colors that would work with other Fall/Autumn decorations in the house.




3)  Next, you will want to measure and cut the fabric in the length necessary to cover your container.  Then, using 1/2 glue and 1/2 water mixture "paint" one side of the plastic container and press your fabric gently down onto the sticky surface.  Continue with "painting" each side of the container and then pressing your fabric into place until you have finished all four sides.

4) Afterwards, if you plan on using a ribbon, you will want to use your glue and water mixture to "paint" the back of the ribbon and then press it into place around the container as you choose.

5) The picture above shows fabric which has been glued down along with a wire edged ribbon which has also been glued into place.  You can still see the glue in some places, especially along the ribbon, but a mixture of 1/2 glue and 1/2 water will dry to be clear and you won't even be able to see it.


6)  The dried version of my Veggie Bowl with a Twist!  It adds a nice splash of color to the kitchen and since it is plastic it will be a breeze to clean on the inside when necessary!




6)  This picture shows the side view of my veggie bowl where I've placed a few red potatoes, zucchini and yellow squash along with some cucumbers.  I was a bit surprised at the amount of produce this little craft holds!


7)  The final picture!  Overall I really enjoyed the project and it was super easy to make!  Although for the next one I think I'll ditch the ribbon at the bottom.  One important thing to not is that wire rimmed ribbon can be extremely difficult to "mod podge" into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment